Sunday, January 20, 2013

Yellow blouse



Pin It
Yellow Blouse Erik van Elven
"Yellow blouse", oil on panel, 24x30cm, available


For this painting I experimented with using a raw umber underpainting. I wanted to see if I could speed up the painting process if I created an underpainting first, not having to think about color but focussing just on shapes and values.
The underpainting went fine but in the coloring phase, I felt too restricted by the 'drawing' underneath and found it much more difficult to get the colors the way I wanted.

I'm happy with how the painting turned out but I think I'll stay with the alla-prima approach for my paintings for now..


7 comments:

René PleinAir said...

Don't know Erik I like it very much. The approach is sound, and I hardly can imagine you got it after one trial. Maybe a light wipe out before colouring would do the trick, or thorough blending? But then again your soo much better at this then I.

Erik van Elven said...

Hi René, good to hear that you like it. I'm not unhappy with the end result, it's just that the process took a lot more time than I anticipated. The underpainting was dry when I started with the colour-work so the wipe-out you mention was not possible anymore. Maybe next time :)

hmuxo said...

You inspire me to want to do a portrait in oil...but still a "bit" afraid. Your underpainting in raw umber sounds like a good idea..this is absolutely beautiful, Erik....

Lokelani Forrest said...

I really love this painting. Like also the way you handled the background. Bravo!

Erik van Elven said...

Hi Hilda and Lokelani, thanks for the kind words. Hilda, just go for it and give it a try, I think you'll like it!

renate said...

Hallo Erik:) Een prachtig portret. Met name het haar vind ik heel natuurlijk geschilderd. De arm en het gezicht zijn heel realistisch. Knap hoor!

Erik van Elven said...

Dankjewel Renate!

Related Posts with Thumbnails