Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Self-portrait



Pin It
The last year or so my main subject has been portraits, yet I've never painted a self-portrait.
So, one of my painting goals for this year has been to paint a self portrait.

It was a lot harder than I thought, I squint a lot when I'm painting but when you do that when you're looking at yourself your expression changes, not very handy..

I tried to preserve the brushstrokes as much as possible, deliberately not blending.
It was a good learning experience and I will definitely do more of these in the future.

Reflection - Erik van Elven
"Reflection-001", oil on panel, 30x24cm, NFS

10 comments:

hmuxo said...

VERY impressive, Erik!! Wonderful skin tones ..excellent job on the eyes.! Nice to meet you, Erik!! I'm not sure if I'm ready to do a self-portrait...maybe someday!

Jesus Estevez said...

Very good Erik, congratulation, a lot of character.

Douglas Clark said...

Great self portrait Erik. Did you use a hand mirror?

René PleinAir said...

Indeed very good, you practice paid off enormously!!

Ever considered working with TWO mirrors, I read it somewhere once to get another side of yourself painted

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Hilda, Jesus, Douglas and Rene!
I didn't use a hand mirror, I placed my plein air easel on the tripod in the bathroom, not the most ideal setup but I just wanted to try.
Thanks for the tip about the 2 mirrors, I'm going to check that out, seems like a good idea.

renate said...

Hoi Erik:) Ik kon direkt zien dat het een zelfportret was zonder je post te lezen. Heel goed gedaan! Ik heb het 1 keer gedaan en dacht: wat komt die vrouw mij bekend voor. haha Groetjes!

Pepe Farrés said...

It is a very good self Erik

Erik van Elven said...

Hoi Renate, dankjewel. Het was leuk en leerzaam om te doen.

Hi Pepe, thank you very much!

Sandra Heading said...

Loads of nice works here in this blog ....Sandra ...

Ps the vid was fab !

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Sandra!

Related Posts with Thumbnails