Friday, March 16, 2012

Bold brushwork



Pin It
"Keba profile", oil on canvas, 24x30cm, nfs





































Last night in life drawing class I wanted to focus on using thick paint and bold brushwork.
Painting thick is hard work and requires you to be super focused, if you want to do it right at least..
To prevent being caught up in all kinds of color choices I decided to limit my colors to only black (ivory black) and white (titanium white).
I premixed 3 grays so I had 5 values to work with. I also used the palette knife in some parts of the background and for the slash of light on his collar.
I really have to focus to keep the bold brushstrokes and prevent them from being smooshed together.

When the painting is dry I'm considering using a glaze of transparent oxide brown to give the image a warmer look, I prepared a version in Photoshop.

Which version do you prefer?

Glazed version, photoshop edit


12 comments:

Joel Wittlif said...

Very well done. I like the way you sculpt the face with your strokes.

Candace X. Moore said...

Hi, Erik.

First...I like the second version here. The warmth of the filter balances the cools really nicely, giving the portrait energy.

Second...Congratulations on your piece in Brian Neher's contest. I was delighted to see your name there. That portrait is awesome, a good choice on Brian's part. Nice control of the light and color temperatures, and strong drawing, too. All good. Very best luck.

Erik van Elven said...

Thanks Joel, using the thick paint it kind of feels like sculpting indeed :)

Erik van Elven said...

Hi Candace, thanks for the kind words. I was pleasantly surprised to see my painting was selected. I think in this round however your painting has the best chance of winning!
Also thanks for your opinion on the color of yesterdays sketch. I will let it dry and put a thin glaze over it.

hmuxo said...

Wonderful painting, Erik. I love the glazed version!!!

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Hilda!

renate said...

Goodmorning Erik:) Both are very beautiful but I prefer the second one because of the brown glace. Keep on going:)

Erik van Elven said...

Thanks Renate. Goodmorning to you too! I'll post the real glazed version when it is done in a few weeks time on the blog.

Jane said...

WOW Erik, this is gorgeous! Love how you created the face with a a few thick strokes, great work! I actually like the black/white version a lot, but I agree to it being warmer with the brown glaze.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Jane, a while back there was a challenge on Dailypaintworks.com about limiting your number of brushstrokes. I didn't count them this time but I think it will be an interesting experiment.
The glazed version it will be!

r garriott said...

Very nice quick sketch portrait. I''m guessing that you really captured a good likeness.

When painting in limited colors, one of my favorite combos is raw umber and ultramarine, and white. Then you can mix up a both 'warm' and 'cool' shades.

Erik van Elven said...

Thanks R. Garriot! I think I got a pretty good likeness here.
That's a nice color combo you're suggesting. I've used ultramarine, burnt sienna and titanium white together but with raw umber I assume color temperature variations will be more controllable. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails