Sunday, February 19, 2012

The bold and the beautiful



Pin It
"The bold and the beautiful", oil on panel, 24x30cm

This is another painting for the JKPP-group on Flickr where artists from all around the world paint or draw portraits of other artists. Subject of this painting is the talented Sue Hodnett and you can find more of her work here.

I started this painting on a bright green colored panel (some of which you can still see in the lower part of the painting). It took quite some time to cover this up but I like how some of the green still shines through in the skin colors. I really enjoyed painting all the bold impasto strokes towards the end of the painting, I hope you like it too.

Do you ever paint on a colored ground or do you prefer white?

12 comments:

renate said...

Hello Erik:) Very nice portrait! Indead, it lookes nice that here and there you see some touches of the green! Good job done!

Erik van Elven said...

Hey Renate! Thank you, it's nice to experiment right?

hmuxo said...

Again, I love this painting, Erik. Your portraits are amazing and I really like the green shining through! Beautiful skin tones!!

Peter Brown said...

Erik, these portraits are really working well - your brushwork looks decisive and confident.

Jane said...

Erik this is fabulous, I love her expression and the skin tone. Lately I have been struggling with an oil portrait, just can't seem to get it right, you make it seem so easy !

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Hilda, I think the skin tones work because there is a lot of subtle green in them to counterbalance the oranges. I used to paint skin way too orange.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Peter, glad to hear it feels confident, it sure doesn't feel that way when I'm painting but the end result is what counts right?

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Jane! You do wonders with your watercolours so I'm sure you will pull it off.

Stan Hughes said...

You are a remarkable talent and I do enjoy seeing your art.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you very much Stan!

Jim Serrett said...

That a great piece.
Wonderful expression.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you very much Jim, what a nice compliment. It was her expression that inspired me to paint this painting in the first place, so I'm glad that comes through.

Related Posts with Thumbnails