Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year! New alla prima oil painting



Pin It
"Frida Sofia Martinez", oil on panel

First of all I'd like to wish all the people reading my blog a happy 2012!
I hope you'll stay with me on my artistic journey.

The portrait above is Frida Sofia Martinez, a fellow painter from the JKPP-group on Flickr.
My goal with this painting was to experiment with cooler skintones since I have a tendency to paint them too warm. It was kind of strange to see the gray mixtures on the palette, mixtures which didn't look like skintones at all but once applied to the panel, they looked in place.

What an great thing it is to be a painter, you use a stick with some pighair, rub some pigments mixed in linseed oil to a wooden panel and all of a sudden a face appears. It's a miracle, every time..

5 comments:

Susan Roux said...

The miracle of painting! And a miracle it is. I feel blessed to have ability to create in this way. Your painting is lovely. I like the expression you captured and the power in her eyes. Happy New Year.

Sharon Williamson said...

What a beautiful portrait, I love the cool colours. Happy new year to you!

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Susan and Sharon!

Celeste Bergin said...

Holy Moley, I daresay...this is one of the most outstanding paintings I've ever seen in the blogosphere

Erik van Elven said...

Holy moley Celeste! That's a huge compliment to give. Thank you very much, I'm honored!

Related Posts with Thumbnails