Monday, January 16, 2012

Error on the dark side!



Pin It
This painting was another experiment for the JKPP on flickr.com. I tried a technique used by Jos van Riswick, who has mastered this technique to perfection. His still lifes and portraits are gorgeous.

The idea is to paint into a thin layer of medium (a 50/50 mixture of standoil and liquin) so the paint has the same consistency throughout the painting session. I still have to get used to this technique but for a first attempt I'm not unhappy. What is critical I think is to try to match the tones and hues as close as possible from the start and error on the dark side. You can always go lighter but darker is more problematic especially in dark passages that have to stay transparent.

In the end I used the painting knife because I felt the background needed some texture. Enjoy and thanks for reading!

"Julia Kay", oil on cardboard, 40x30cm

Julia's main thread is here.
All the paintings from the same reference photo are here.

9 comments:

Stan Hughes said...

You are doing very cool work. This is really nice. I like the feel of loose lines and choice of colorl.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Stan, I guess I'm inspired by all the cool artwork in the portrait group.

céline said...

Hoi Erik,
Dankjewel voor je kommentaar op mijn blog!
Ik bewonder je manier van werken, het proberen van technieken en het perfectioneren daarvan. Indrukwekkend!

Erik van Elven said...

Dank je wel Celine!

Sandra Heading said...

WOW 'Erik , you just get better with each one , Love the play in her skin of the colors enhanced around her Fab stuff , and those glasses are magical!!! :)

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Sandra! The glasses were fun to do, abstract shapes that all of a sudden become glasses.

Hanneke Naterop said...

Hi Erik great to see all of the other paintings and drawings of this person . I think you are one of the best!

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Hanneke! I wouldn't want to dissapoint you..

Oil Paintings said...

You are doing very cool work. This is really nice.I think you are one of the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails