Sunday, October 30, 2011

Painting plein air in Botshol nature reserve



Pin It
Today I went painting plein air in Botshol, a small nature reserve in the center of the Netherlands with painting buddy Cas. It was a grey day which is nice because it ensures the light will be pretty constant. On the other hand it's also difficult because there are no obvious cast shadows to help to give the illusion of depth.

"Botshol on a grey day", oil on panel, 24x30cm



Trying to match up the finished painting with the background

And a few pictures I took of the painting process.

block-in

halfway the painting
Thanks for watching!

8 comments:

Brad Miedema said...

Beautiful! It does match up with the background. Great work!

Erik said...

Haha, thanks Brad. It's always nice when it matches up.

Sandra Heading said...

Hes right you paint what you see and Wonderfully, I dig that....I also couldnt find where to post my comment , ok Im blonde so dont hold it against me dude ... : ) and whats this visiting my blog too ... man you didnt have to do that ....but thankyou !!

Erik said...

:) LOL, thank you Sandra!

Sandra Heading said...

Ok I came back because I really love this painting I think its SOOOooo Beautiful Erik , So full of Life!!!!

~chow~ ... ;-)

Erik van Elven said...

:) thank you Sandra, glad you like it.

Stephanie Berry said...

That's pretty cool. I've yet to try that site-size technique. Very nice.

Erik van Elven said...

Thank you Stephanie! I did't specifically use the sight-size method here, at least not consciously. It is a very good method to use by the way since you easily check your drawing against what is there so I can recommend it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails