Friday, March 11, 2011

"Not a clown tonight"



Pin It
I guess I have to explain the title. My 5-year old daughter is always very interested in my paintings, especially the ones I do in life painting class. Yesterday we were supposed to get a clown as the model so my daughter was very excited in advance. Turned out that there was a misunderstanding in the briefing and the model showed up  without a costume or makeup.
The next morning I told my daughter and I expected her to be very dissapointed. Instead she was thinking for a moment, then smiled and said: "Clowns are not so smart are they?"

About the painting (2 hours) itself, I'm pretty happy how it turned out, I focused on the big shapes, shadow/halftone/light and tried to use fewer brushstrokes. Candace X. Moore has a nice blogpost about this method. The limited palette use was Titanium white, Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Deep. Enjoy!

"Not a clown tonight" oil on canvas, 40x30 cm (15.7x11.8)

7 comments:

Douglas Clark said...

I REALLY like how you painted this. Each brushstroke matters and there are no unneeded brushstrokes.

Erik said...

Hi Douglas. I'm still learning this approach and it worked out nicely for this male character. Next week we have a female model I think, it will be interesting to see how it turns out with a smoother form. Thanks Douglas.

Stan Hughes said...

Very nice. I like the effective use of a few brushstrokes to get the desired effect.

Lokelani Forrest said...

I think you did a marvelous job on this. i would never be able to accomplish anything close to this in two hours.

Erik said...

Thank you Stan and Lokelani, sometimes a painting just flows from the brush.

Jane said...

Wonderful painting the brushstrokes and the light are just perfect. I guess this is a self portrait! Yes??

Erik said...

Thank you Jane, no not a self portrait (although I want to do one this year) but a painting done in life painting class.

Related Posts with Thumbnails