Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Streak of light" new oil painting



Pin It
Finally, the first post of the new year!
But first I'd like to thank all the people following me here on the blog or on facebook. I hope you'll continue to check in now and then and leave a comment, I'm always interested in what you have to say.

I'm looking forward to step outside my comfort zone this year and attempt to paint people, we'll see how it works out :)
But the first one I finished this year was for the monthly painting challenge on the artist helping artists blog.


streak-of-light-oil-painting-erik-van-elven
"Streak of light", oil on linen, 30x50cm (12x20)

blockin

10 comments:

Arto Isotalo said...

This is good, Erik! I like how most of the painting is cold, and just a little of the warm underpainting shows through. In your last year's snow landscape (my favorite of your paintings btw) it's the opposite: warm colors dominate and small patches of complementary blue for the shadows.

This makes a painting more interesting than if there were equal amounts of warm and cool.

Looking forward to seeing the people paintings!

Erik said...

Arto, thank you! Means a lot.
I really enjoy painting and looking at snowlandscapes. Funny that you should mention the warm/cool relationship, you have a good eye!
Your step by step people paintings have been very helpful so thanks for that!

Stan Hughes said...

Very nice use of shadow and light. I like the brush strokes in the foreground. Nice snow, not always easy to do.

Jesus Estevez said...

ya, those pinks in the tree really makes the painting

Erik said...

Stan: Thank you, snow is hard indeed.

Erik said...

Jesus: Hi! Thank you, I like to keep some parts of the underpainting showing through and in this painting I reinforced some of the warmer parts with pinks and purples to counterbalance all the cool colors. Makes me feel good that you noticed!

Jani Lori said...

Beautiful!

Erik said...

Thank you Jani!

AtelierBrigitte said...

It looks great.
Good luck on painting people - I'm sure you'll create wonderful portraits.

Erik said...

Hi Brigitte, thank you. I still need a lot of practice but it's fun :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails