Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cow - value study



Pin It

I had fun with this value study using a limited palette of ultramarine blue, burnt sienna and titanium white. When you add more burnt sienna the grey mixture gets warmer, if you add more ultramarine it gets cooler. A lovely way to forget color and focus on shape, value and edges, probable the most important parts in a painting.
When I was a little boy (long long looong ago) there was a great book in our local library from a Dutch artist with drawings of cattle. I've recently searched if I could find it but no success. I can't remember the name of the artist which doesn't help. On the cover there was a drawing of a cow in a similar pose to the one below. If anyone reading this know which book it is please let me know.

cow oil painting olieverf
'Cow study', Oil on masonite, 
15x20cm (6x8) © 2010, Erik van Elven, NFS


14 comments:

Jesus Estevez said...

I love what you did, you are right, with a limited palette you can concentrate more on the values, edges and shapes,I should do that some time,to forget about color.Cheers

Caroline Bray Art said...

This is a great, solid beast of a cow! I love it! I'm a huge fan of the limited palette apprach too, esp. when it comes to chromatic blacs and the like. I often use ultramarine and raw umber with titanium white and it's great how the tiniest of adjustments in ratio can really change the values and colours. I also love mixing prussian blue, alizarn crimson and burnt umber (or burnt sienna) for a stunning and very manipulable chromatic black.

Erik said...

Thanks Jesus, cheers!
Caroline, yes, it was quite a massive beast in real life too. Thanks for the color info too, I love chromatic black mixtures.

Celeste Bergin said...

great job --I love using that palette--you've reminded me what a good idea it is

Erik said...

Thank you Celeste, looking forward to see what you come up with.

sam said...

Cant help you out with the book Erik, but its a beautiful study, and only two colours fantastic)

Erik said...

Thanks Sam!

Jesus Estevez said...

http://www.mightybright.com/ Hi Erik here is the address of the page for the lights,The model i bought is Mighty bright duet 2 Music light w/no adapter, item #51820-Black

Amanda Jones said...

Hello Erik, I am so glad you stopped by my blog and that led me to see your work. I often start with a monotone underpainting and you are right it allows you to concentrate more on composition etc and not get bogged down with colour. I also really liked the mushroom painting, Great Stuff!

Erik said...

Thank you Jesus, that looks like a great solution for nocture paintings.

Amanda: Thanks for visiting my blog, you have a way with acrylics.

AtelierBrigitte said...

Mooi werk!
Helaas ken ik het boek niet.

Erik said...

Dank je Brigitte!
Ik zal in de bibliotheek eens gaan vragen, misschien weten ze daar welk boek ik bedoel.

leihotik said...

like it!

Erik said...

Thank you Leihotik.

Related Posts with Thumbnails