Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Limited palette month painting Nr4: Cow oil painting wip



Pin It
This time a color-combination I'm more familiar with, ultramarine blue and transparent oxide red (and of course titanium white). I love these colors together, they make great transparent darks and dependent on which color dominates it's a cool or a warm dark .

I toned the canvas with a reddish acrylic to give the cold colors a warm glow.
Not quite sure yet if I call it finished or not, I will look at it next week with a fresh eye to see if  it stays as it is.


cow mist oil painting
' Blank stare', Oil on gallery wrap canvas, 
18x24cm (7.1x9.4) 
© 2010, Erik van Elven
n/a

6 comments:

Jesus Estevez said...

very interesting the atmospheric effect you create in this painting, and just with three colors. good work.

Erik said...

Hi Jesus, thanks. I think the red baselayer also helps with some optical mixing of colors.

Sjamesportraiture said...

I'm enjoying your experiments in colour. You've made a striking effect. I'm also working with a limited palette for my lastest work, however I haven't managed to reduce it to only 3! Nice work.

Erik said...

Hi Sarah,
Good to hear you like these experiments. Thanks.

sam said...

Nicely done Erik, I love the glow.

Erik said...

Thanks Sam!

Related Posts with Thumbnails